Thursday, October 28, 2010

Making Flocked Brads with Sparkly Fluff and Glue Dots®


I wanted to share a card and tutorial today. This month the Glue Dots® Dottesses were sent "Sparkly Fluff" from Our Craft Lounge. I used it with Glue Dots® Pop-up to make flocked brads, and I have pictures, ha!

So, I'm going to dive right in with the beginning of the card. To those who make cards regularly - please don't laugh - I'm still working on my card skilz (and my LOLspeak, apparently).

  • cut cardstock base for card, fold and emboss. Ink with white ink, and spray with “Chalk” glimmer mist, let dry


  • cut patterned paper to size (4.25”x2.5” and 3.5”x1.75”), distress and ink edges with Distress ink
  • attach patterned papers and ticket to card base using Memory Dots


  • wrap twine around card, and tie in a knot. I secured mine with a Mini Glue Dot under the knot, to make sure it stayed put


  • emboss and mist grunge paper tag with “Strawberry Shortcake” mist, dry with heat gun


  • attach grunge paper tag to card with Craft Dots
  • attach self adhesive crystal flourish


Now - flock the brads!
  • stick a Pop Up dot on top of a brad


  • hold brad with tweezers – it will get really hot!
  • heat Pop Up dot with heat gun, until glue melts. It will turn more clear, and you can distribute the glue evenly on the brad top by blowing it around with the heat gun


  • while glue is still hot and melted, dip into pot of “Sparkly Fluff


  • let cool, then tap off excess fluff
  • now your brad is ready to use


  • punch snowflakes from scraps of the patterned paper
  • pierce holes in centers of snowflakes, and push brads through
  • pierce holes in card, and attach brad / snowflakes


And there you have it. I hope you will give it a try. Link me up - I would love to see what you create.

Adhesives:
Glue Dots® - Memory Book
Glue Dots® - Pop-Up
Glue Dots® - Craft
Glue Dots® - Mini

Other Supplies:
Sparkly Fluff “Very Cherry Red” - Our Craft Lounge
Kraft cardstock – Bazzill
Patterned paper – Fancy Pants
Kraft ticket – Maya Road
Grunge paper ticket – Tim Holtz
Crystal flourish – Zva Creative
Twine – Jillibean Soup
Chalkboard glimmer mist – Tattered Angels “Chalk”, “Strawberry Shortcake”
Ink – Ranger Distress Ink “Tumbled Glass”, Colorbox pigment ink “white”
other - brads

I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots® design team.

5 comments:

Ilene said...

Really fun tutorial, I love that idea!! (Since I have a thing for brads). Cute card too!

laterg8r said...

love how you created the fluffy brads :D

Em said...

Very cool! I love this idea!!

Barbara said...

What a cool idea! TFS!

Kristine Davidson said...

what a great idea!!! thanks for sharing ;-)